Thursday, May 8, 2008

He's Gotta Hold of Me!


I love this image I found. The look on the child's face says it all. This is how I feel today, like a child holding onto their father's arms. After searching and chasing to find that all elusive peace, it feels like Jesus has me by both arms now, not just my hand. Just like a trusting small child, I look to Him and know that I'm going to be all right no matter what the future holds.

In my earlier blog entry I stated how upset I'd been by the recent turmoil over jobs in my district. Like children, we all want to know what's going to happen to us. Will we be all right? Worried and stressed over not knowing what to do, I spent hours trying to figure out a plan. Truth is, I have no control over what happens. I can plot and plan all I want, but really, who knows what the future holds? That's where my trust in Jesus comes in. He comforts me like a smal child.

I realized that where I am now is in no direct control that I've had. Every single detail of my life, including my job, was ordered and planned by God. I believe He has complete control. As the Bible says in Proverbs 16:9
In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps.
I can make all the plans I want to, but ultimately, it's the Lord who determines where I will go.

This has been so freeing for me, because as I've seen in the past He has always taken care of me. It may not have been what I've planned, but always something good. Sometimes, even better than what I could have picked, because He knows me better than I know myself. He sees the whole situation, where I only see part. My view from down here is clouded. He has the "bird's eye view."

Matthew 6:26-27 states:
25"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life[b]?
Having a close, personal relationship with Christ has been the most rewarding thing in my life. Even one hour of thinking I am separated from Him is torture. I can do anything as long as I know He is with me all the time. My worrying only separates me from Him. Worrying is the opposite of trusting. Trusting brings peace.

I don't know where I will be heading. Even though I have high hopes for chances of advancement, it doesn't matter one way or the other, because nothing is worth feeling separated from Christ's will. I want to always be in His will for my life. I usually know it by the amount of peace I have, and by the doors He opens or closes. Disappointment may visit for a while, but bitterness can not take root as long as I remember that God has good things in store for me. It just may be later on down the road.

Whenever I am tempted to look to the left or to the right and get scared by seeing the scenery swirling past me, I start to get afraid. As long as I remember to look straight into his face, and I know he has me by both arms and I do not have to worry. He will not let me fall.

Psalm 37:24
...though he stumble, he will not fall, for the LORD upholds him with his hand.

Guess you could say, He's really gotta hold of me!

No comments: