Sunday, June 29, 2008

Those Birds!

The birds! Oh, those noisy birds! Why is it that every spring I have to be awakened before daybreak by chirping birds?

I once did an article on this a couple of years ago about being off for the summer with my husband in "retirement land", and how nice it sounded to be able to sleep in everyday. But, of course, the birds quickly changed those plans.

I know, I know. How can anyone complain about the beautiful singing of birds? And after the long winter we had, I should be ecstatic that they are here heralding the return of spring. Okay, okay. Now I am starting to feel bad. I can't help but wonder, though, how in the world someone or something can wake up and just start singing right away. I have to have a cup of coffee and at least 10 minutes to think about what I have to do next. Even our dog, Honey, is no early-morning riser. She likes to sleep in, too. She won't get up one second before her master does. Then, and only then, will she reluctantly saunter out of the bedroom for her morning stretch and a morning biscuit. (No coffee for her.)

So, why do the birds feel the necessity to sing when they rise seemingly before they even leave the nest? I noticed it again about dusk. They seem to sing as they returned to their nests for the evening. It made me think of David in Psalm 92:1-2:

1) It is good to give thanks to the Lord, and to sing praises to Your name, O Most High;

2) To declare Your lovingkindness in the morning, and Your faithfulness every night.

I've come to the conclusion that the birds automatically awake each day and sing in praise to their creator for the fresh new day He has given them. And again at evening, they thank Him for all He has provided for them during that day. Well, who am I to challenge that philosophy? I think it would be better for me if I adopted it.

So, now, even though the clock reads 5:50 a.m., I quietly whisper my praise to God and thank Him for all he has done for us. Then, I put my ear plugs in, put a pillow over my head and roll over for a few more winks of sleep. Well, I'm only human! So, sing on bird friends! I'll catch up with you later!

zzzzzzzzzzzzz






1 comment:

Mark Daniels said...

This is good, Carol!

Pastor Mark