Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Empty-nesting, again

In a week, my daughter will be moving into her first apartment.   Although she has been in college for two years now, she has always lived in a dorm; a requirement of all freshmen and sophomores.   I don't know why, but I get this feeling that this is really it.   I have no recourse but to let her grow up now.   Furniture will be hauled, rental agreements signed, utilities put in her and her roommates' names.   And even though my husband says, "She'll be back," I'm not so sure.    This is it; the severing of the apron strings.

The garage is filled with furnishings we've collected from friends and family.   We have enough stuff by now to fill an entire house, not just an apartment.  It's been fun to help gather up items and know it will help her get settled in quite nicely right off the  bat.  The business of it all has kept my mind from dwelling on the fact of the matter; she's moving out!

I know there is nothing I can do to stop the process, nor would I want to.   I just wish it wouldn't make me feel like a part of my life is leaving with her.   
So, next week I will be brave, load up the truck and help move all her stuff.   The week after that, I will get a life!



1 comment:

Mark Daniels said...

Carol:
Been there, done that, then Phil came back. HA!

It's a hard thing. As I told my kids, I think that the greatest amount of growing up when they leave has to be done by us. Run through the thistles and pray are the only pieces of advice I can give.

You, Mike, and Katie are great people and a real blessing.

Your Friend in Christ,
Pastor Mark