Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Blackbird

I don't know what it is with me and music, but I've notice for years that there are times when a song pops into my head and I cannot figure out why. It isn't that I've just heard it on the radio. It isn't that it was one of my favorite songs. But sometimes, they speak to my very soul with such perfect timing that I can only think that it is partly something beyond natural comprehension.

I've had one such song come to my consciousness at times of desperation; Blackbird by the Beatles. I know that supposedly it was written in reference to the racial problems in the 60's, but it brings me comfort and inspiration in a dissimilar way.



Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise

Black bird singing in the dead of night
Take these sunken eyes and learn to see
all your life
you were only waiting for this moment to be free

Blackbird fly, Blackbird fly
Into the light of the dark black night.

Blackbird fly, Blackbird fly
Into the light of the dark black night.

Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise,oh
You were only waiting for this moment to arise, oh
You were only waiting for this moment to arise

I've found myself using this as almost a prayer. For me, it represents hope in the midst of darkness. My broken soul needs help to learn to fly and to see when there is no light to guide me. I am the blackbird, a desperate, ugly thing, not an eagle. But I look toward heaven and pray that He will breathe life into this weary soul, lifting me above the circumstances, my heaviness of heart, making my broken wings able to soar. By His power, at that moment, I am set free.

No comments: