Friday, July 25, 2008

Things We Remember

What are the things we will remember is 10, 15, 20 years from now? What will leave such lasting impressions on our souls that we will remember it through the haze and confusion of our senility? As I sit and visit with my mom's cousin, who is 82 yrs. old, there are things that she can't seem to forget or let go of. Hurts seem to leave the most lasting impression. When I hear her repeat the same things over and over, I worry that maybe I will be like that someday. What will I remember? Disappointments, hurts, or regrets -- it is so easy to harbor these feelings, nursing them over the years. Will they be all that I remember when I'm older?

I have to admit I am critical and negative by nature. I think that's why I started this blog; to make myself stop and think. Instead of wasting time going through life letting my impulses lead me wherever they will. I want to examine my thoughts and motives then redirect my life towards more positive results.

In the Bible it states:

Philippians 4:8
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoeverthings are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoeverthings are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

I think there is so much in this scripture that can help us in so many ways. It can change our habit of spreading gossip or thinking ill of others. We can focus on things that are good in the world instead of everything negative. This isn't to say that we never deal with real issues in life, but to dwell on the negative all the time only leads to depression and despair. We need balance. For some of us it is harder to think even one positive thought a day. I believe it is only by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit that I am able to come across anything positive. Guess that's why I'm so compelled to share it!

I remember a parable of two wolves I once read that seems to befit this theme. It is an old Cherokee Indian parable. An old Cherokee was teaching his young grandson one of life’s most important lessons. He told the young boy the following parable:

“There is a fight going on inside each of us. It is a terrible fight between two wolves,” he said.

“One wolf is evil. He is anger, rage, envy, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego."

"The second wolf is good. He is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, empathy, truth, compassion, and faith.”

The grandson thought about this for a moment. Then he asked his grandfather, “Which wolf will win this fight?”

The old Cherokee simply replied, “The one you feed.”

If I have any hurts, if I have any disappointments, if I harbor any ill feelings against anyone else, I pray that I will have the courage to go to God and ask that He will help me with all of these. I pray that I will make peace with whoever or whatever and learn to forgive and let go. I pray that I will never harbor resentment, anger or hurt of any kind. I pray that as I get older if I remember one thing let it be how much God loves me and forgives me. And also let me remember the good things that happened in my life. I want to dwell on them now and burn them into my memory bank so I'll never forget them.

My goal this week is to be thankful for every good thing in my life and not let it go by without recognizing them. This week I will chose to feed the good memories.

No comments: