Tuesday, April 1, 2008

One Attitude Adjustment, please.

While watching TV this morning, Joyce Meyer was talking with someone about the difference between obedience and submission. I was struck by the fact that I really didn't know the meaning of submission. Obedience, I knew. It means you obey; do what you're told. So, what's submission? Why didn't I know this? It's our attitude. You can do something and be obedient, but you can do it while grumbling and complaining.

Since attending Pastor Mark's classes on learning how to become witnesses for Christ, I find myself wrestling with my conscience. I know we are told to be witnesses, but I have every excuse for not "bothering" others with my beliefs. "It's uncomfortable." "I don't know how." "Let someone else do it." "I don't have to and you can't make me!" "It doesn't mean I'm not saved." I think my attitude and my heart are going to need some adjusting before I can ever really reach out to anyone. I could try to witness, but with an attitude of "I'm only doing this because I have to" I won't get far. After all, the whole meaning of God's message is love. It all boils down to this, "For God so loved the world that He gave his only son to die for us." John 3:16

Submission to me feels a little like dying inside. Wrestling with the demons of my own self-will and pride, I die to make room for God to come in. Yeh, it hurts a little, but it also feels good. Through submission, I learn what it means to love. Through humble surrender, I find true power. Because love conquers all.

So, I guess I'm saying, I'll take that Attitude Adjustment, please and thank you!

No comments: